2018 – present – postdoctoral researcher, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Comparative genetics and functional genomics; Uppsala University, Sweden.
2013 – 2018 – Ph.D. in Evolutionary Functional Genomics, Department of Ecology and Genetics, Uppsala University, Sweden.
2011 – 2013 – Erasmus Mundus Master Program in Evolutionary Biology (MEME):
1st semester – Uppsala University, Sweden.
2nd semester – University of Montpellier II, France.
3rd semester – University of Montpelier II:
External research project at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology, Germany.
4th semester – Uppsala University:
External research project at Harvard University, USA.
2009 – 2010 – M. Sc. in Biology, V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Ukraine.
2005 – 2009 – B. Sc. in Biology, V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Ukraine
Project: Genetic characterization of diet adaptation in dogs (2018-present)
Supervisor – Erik Axelsson, Uppsala University
- Looking for signs of selection in large scale population genomic data.
Project: Genome evolution and adaptation in the tetraploid weed Capsella bursa-pastoris (Brassicaceae). (2013-2018)
Supervisor – Martin Lascoux, Uppsala University
- Gene expression analyses using RNA-seq data.
- Population genetic analyses of whole-genome sequence data.
- Analyses of phenotypic variation using various linear models.
Project: Hybridization between closely and distantly related Heliconius butterflies: analysis of the whole-genome sequences. (Mar – Oct 2013 with a break in Jul-Aug).
Supervisor – James Mallet, Harvard University.
- Whole-genome DNA sequences alignment, genotype calling and filtering.
- Whole-genome and sliding window phylogeny.
- Estimation of Fst, Tajima’s D, pi, dxy, Patterson’s D (based on the F4-population test).
- Gene ontology characterization.
- Test for positive selection using dN/dS.
Project: Association of adaptive changes in gene expression with different organs in hybrid sculpins (Teleostei: Cottidae: Cottus). (Sep 2012 – Feb 2013).
Supervisor – Arne Nolte, Max Plank Institute for Evolutionary Biology.
- RNA-Seq and microarray data analyses,
- Gene ontology term enrichment analysis.
- Comparison of different methods of microarray gene expression data normalization.
Project: Comparative phylogeography of some Indo-Pacific Mugilidae fishes. (Apr – Jul 2012).
Supervisor – Jean-Dominique Durand and Philippe Borsa, University of Montpelier II.
- DNA extraction, PCR amplification, DNA electrophoresis.
- Sequences editing and alignment.
- Phylogenetic reconstruction and inference of phylogeography.
Project: The peculiarities of a hybrid complex of spined loaches of the genus Cobitis (Teleostei: Cypriniformes: Cobitidae) in Eastern Ukraine: morphological and genetic diversity. (2008-2010)
Supervisor – Gennadiy A. Shandikov, V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University.
- Field collection of spined loaches using nets and fish traps.
- Specimen preservation in ethanol and formalin, and maintenance of collection.
- Cytometric analysis of erythrocytes.
- Analyses of morphological characters, allozymes, PCR–RFLP
Kryvokhyzha D. The influence of population structure on gene expression variation in the ubiquitous weed Capsella bursa-pastoris (Brassicaceae). European Meeting of PhD students in Evolutionary Biology (EMPSEB-22), 2016. Gotland, Sweden (presentation)
Kryvokhyzha D, Till Czypionla T, Nolte AW. 2013. Associations of adaptive changes in gene expression with different organs in hybrid sculpins (Pisces, Cottus). SMBE-2013, Chicago, USA. (poster)
Grants and Awards
2013 – The Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution (SMBE) Travel Grant Award
To attend the SMBE Annual Conference in Chicago, USA.
2013 – National Geographic Society’s Global Exploration Fund.
Project: “Hidden Biodiversity on the Roof of the World”, expedition to the Pamir Mountains (Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan).
2011 – Erasmus Mundus Scholarship.
This scholarship covered all expenses during my 2-years MEME studies.
Internships and Trainings
19 – 28 June, 2015 – Research visit to Stephen Wright’s Lab, University of Toronto.
24 – 25 Mar, 2015 – Approximate Bayesian Computation by Daniel Wegmann, Uppsala University, Sweden.
16 – 27 Jan, 2012 – European course of Comparative Genomics, Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France.
16 – 27 Aug, 2010 – Summer school “Sustainable development in the Baltic region 2010”, Folkuniversitetet, Gothenburg, Sweden.
18 May – 12 Jun, 2010 – Laboratory of Fish Genetics, Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, (DNA and karyotype analyses).
Feb – Mar, 2010 – Department of Evolutionary Genetic Bases of Systematics, I. I. Schmalhausen Institute of Zoology of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev, Ukraine (allozyme analysis).
5 – 12 Oct, 2008 – “Methods of reconstruction of phylogeny based on molecular data”, Southern Federal University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia.